Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Feb. 16 to Feb. 22

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that occurred over the past week. Check out the news from Feb. 16 to Feb. 22 here.

College Re-increases Covid Testing Frequency

In an email sent on Feb. 21, Director of Student Health Services Dr. Emily Jones and Director of Emergency Management Matthew Hart announced that due to high levels of positive Covid tests last week, the college has resumed three-times-a-week testing for this week and next week. Friday, Feb. 25, was added as the third testing day this week — the testing center will revert to the Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday schedule next week.

First Sexual Misconduct Listening Sessions Take Place on Feb. 22

President Biddy Martin outlined the start of the college’s commissioned review of sexual misconduct on campus on Feb. 18 in an email sent to students, faculty, and staff. Students were invited to share their experiences at the first day of drop-in listening sessions hosted by Gina Maisto Smith and Leslie Gomez of Cozen O’Connor on Feb. 22. More listening sessions will follow, to be announced in the Daily Mammoth and online. An online platform will also be set up soon to allow for anonymous submissions.

Housing Operations Begins Processing Room Change Requests

Housing Operations communicated in an email on Feb. 18 that the room change process opened on Feb. 18 and will close on Mar. 11. Housing Operations is currently receiving five requests for every available room, and will only be able to process a small number of requests each week. In an effort to “fairly address the large list of requests,” Housing Operations has developed a ranking system for requests based on urgency.

Free Water Bottles Available at Frost Café

Dining Services, the Bicentennial Team, and the Office of Sustainability have sponsored an initiative to offer students free reusable water bottles as part of the college’s sustainability effort. The water bottles were first offered to students during lunch at Valentine Dining Hall on Feb. 8 and Feb. 9, but are now available at Frost Café during regular hours, with cleaning services provided in Val.

AAS Removes Requirement for Senators to Collect Signatures Before Running

In a Feb. 22 email, the Association of Amherst Students (AAS) Elections Committee announced that the Senate had unanimously passed an amendment removing the requirement that Senate candidates collect petition signatures in order to run. Students have seven days to submit a petition contesting the amendment. A school-wide referendum will be held on the amendment if a petition collects at least 10 student signatures.