Mammoth Moments in Miniature: March 9 to March 22

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that occurred during the week. In this week’s installment: the housing selection process, tuition increase, and more.

Housing Selection Process for the Fall 2022 Semester Announced

On March 10, the Office of Student Affairs Operations Team announced Housing Selection Numbers for the Fall 2022 semester in an email sent to students.The email noted that the practice of “Time Groups,” which facilitated the creation of adjacent blocks of assignments for cohorts of students, has been discontinued to promote the equitable distribution of housing assignments. The Suite Selection application will be available on March 28 and due April 3, and General Selection will run from April 12 through April 14.

Comprehensive Tuition Fee Raised to $80,250 for the 2022-2023 Year

Per an email sent by President Biddy Martin on March 11, the Board of Trustees has voted to set tuition for the 2022-2023 academic year at $80,250, a 4.5 percent increase from this year’s tuition. The fee encompasses tuition, on-campus housing, and board. Martin said that the college considered “a number of factors” in making the decision — including the college’s revenue sources, the cost of providing a quality Amherst education, and the impact of an increase on students — and affirmed the college’s commitment to meeting student financial need. “If you are a student who qualifies for need-based financial aid, the College will cover the difference between the cost of attendance and your calculated family contribution,” she wrote.

Foon Sham’s “The Book of Hope” Community Art Project

As part of the college’s new wellness initiative, it has commissioned a community-based sculpture by well-known artist and professor Foon Sham, which will be named “The Book of Hope.” The piece will be constructed with hundreds of wooden blocks, each of which will be inscribed with a message by students reflecting on the past two years. In an email sent on March 20, President Biddy Martin invited students to contribute to the project by inscribing a block, which are available in Valentine Dining Hall each day this week between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. until Friday.

AmherstBussin Blows Up Over Mask Debate

On Saturday, March 19, an unusually large number of students in the campus wide GroupMe AmherstBussin extensively debated whether or not the college should lift its mask mandate. The discourse generated heated and contentious arguments among students regarding community and responsibility.