Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Oct. 19 to Nov. 1

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that has occurred since the last issue. In this week’s installment: Amherst Labor Alliance calls on alumni to halt donations, the administration mandates emergency preparedness training, and more.

Val Installs New Digital Menus

In the past several weeks, digital monitors have been installed in various locations across Valentine Dining Hall. These monitors serve as digital menu boards, displaying the dining hall’s fare for each meal of the day to students as they enter the building and approach the serving area.

Administration Requests Feedback on Masking Policies

On Monday, Oct. 24, Dean of Students and Chief Student Affairs Officer Liz Agosto sent an email to students requesting feedback on a potential update to current masking policies. Referencing the wide range of responses the administration has received following the announcement of current protocols on Sept. 29, Agosto relayed that the college has since been considering changes in protocol that would make masking optional in classrooms and labs, barring instructor opposition. Moving forward, feedback will be reviewed by the Health Readiness Group and various members of the administration as part of their evaluation of the existing policy.

Amherst Labor Alliance Calls for Halt to Alumni Donations

Over Homecoming weekend, the Amherst Labor Alliance (ALA) chalked messages on sidewalks and displayed banners across campus as part of their broader call on alumni to halt all donations to the college until certain demands regarding employee rights are met. One such banner over the entrance to Val read “Raise Wages for Val Workers.” The broader demands, enumerated in a pledge on the ALA’s Instagram page, include providing a living wage for all employees, a method to report concerns, and health care.

Emergency Management Mandates Attendance for New Preparedness Sessions

On Nov. 1, the administration announced in an email to the student body that all students will be required to attend one of several emergency preparedness sessions, which will be held throughout the remainder of the semester. Sessions will begin on Monday, Nov. 14, and all students must sign up for one 45-minute period prior to entry.

AAS Holds Referendum Over Attendance Bylaw

In response to a petition brought forward by over 20 students about a recent amendment to its attendance policy, the Association of Amherst students (AAS) announced on Oct. 31 that a campus-wide referendum would be held to determine whether or not the amendment will remain in effect. Students can voice their support or opposition for the amendment through a Google form, included in the AAS announcement, up until 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 2.