Mammoth Moments in Miniature: Sept. 7 to Sept. 13

Mammoth Moments in Miniature provides quick updates on notable campus news that occurred since the last issue. In this week’s installment: Mocha Joe’s coffee, Late Night Dining, and an AAS town hall.

Valentine Dining Hall Introduces Mocha Joe’s Coffee

Over the summer, Valentine Dining Hall announced that it would be partnering with specialty coffee roasting company Mocha Joe’s to provide coffee to students throughout the upcoming year. Mocha Joe’s, based out of Brattleboro, Vermont, is a “single origin, fair trade, community oriented, and ecologically conscious” roasting company that runs on 100% solar power. In addition to its environmentally friendly practices, Mocha Joe’s also works with coffee farmers in Cameroon and other countries to support infrastructure building and career development.

Late Night Dining and Takeaway Tuesdays Make Return to Val

Late Night Dining returned to Valentine Dining Hall for the fall semester on Wednesday, Sept. 7. Consisting of late night snacks offered Wednesday through Friday each week from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m., it will be replacing last year’s food trucks as an alternative, later option for dining on campus. Takeaway Tuesdays, which feature treats for the campus community on Tuesdays from 2 to 4 p.m., similarly made its semester debut on Sept. 6, thus far featuring ice cream sandwiches and a Boba Tea station.

AAS Hosts Town Hall on False Shooter Alerts

On Sept. 12, Amherst President Michael Elliott, Chief of Police John Carter, Dean of Students and Chief Student Affairs Officer Liz Agosto, and Chief Information Officer David Hamilton held a town hall event with the Amherst Senate. They fielded questions from community members about the recent false shooting alerts that occurred during orientation. Administration is currently looking into retooling their emergency response measures.