Staff Spotlight: Laura Fredette and Brittney Clapp

Laura Fredette is a staff member at the Covid-19 Testing Center. A travel nurse, she started working at Amherst in August of 2020, and has enjoyed telling jokes to students as they get tested, as well as admiring the beauty of the college. In her free time, she loves spending time with her family and is also completing a degree in forensic psychology at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.

Q: Around campus, you are known for telling jokes to students while they wait in the Covid-19 testing line.  What is your favorite joke to tell? 

A: There are so many, so funny jokes, but most recently folks [have] enjoyed this one: “What do you call a spy in the bathtub? Bubble 07!”

Q: How long have you worked at Amherst?

A: I have been enjoying this community since August of 2020.

Q: What drew you to work at Amherst?

A: Pure luck brought me here!  I am a travel registered nurse, and the assignment fell into my lap.

Q: How has your experience at the testing center been so far?

A: This assignment has been a dream. The site is physically beautiful — and I have seen a lot of beautiful places!

Q: What is the most rewarding part of working at the testing center? 

A: The students at the college are seriously amazing. I am so impressed with the commitment of all of you because you are here under hard times, but continue to work hard, be polite, upbeat, kind and clearly care sincerely about receiving a great education. I see lots of instances where you support each other and are genuinely kind to the staff.

Q: What did you do before working at Amherst? 

A: I have worked as a nurse for over 50 years, and I am licensed to do so in 11 states. I travel to other assignments for usually about 3 months at a time. Alaska has been my most frequent place to revisit.

Q: When you are not working at the testing center, what do you do in your free time? 

A: I live in Eastern Massachusetts and enjoy spending time with my extended family very much. Students have heard me boast about my two granddaughters [who are] both in college. I like to think I have helped them along! Also, I have been attending class at UMass Lowell [the University of Massachusetts Lowell] and am just about to complete a program in forensic psychology. That assumes I can complete my final assignment this week!

Q: What is the first place you will go when the pandemic is over and everyone has been vaccinated against Covid-19?

A: My first trip post-plague? Iceland!

Brittney Clapp is a staff member at the Covid-19 Testing Center. A senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, she started working at the college in February 2021. She loves the atmosphere of the campus and interacting with students and other staff. In her spare time, she enjoys playing with her dog, Tucker. 

Q: How long have you worked at Amherst? 

A: I have been here since February.

Q: What drew you to work at Amherst?

A: I loved the people I interviewed with and the atmosphere of the campus.

A: Really good! I enjoy coming to work and chatting with students and employees.

A: I think the best part is keeping the community safe so everyone can have a successful, fun semester. 

A: I am a senior at UMass [the University of Massachusetts Amherst], so last semester I finished my thesis and was doing research on possible drugs used to reduce the risk of colon cancer.

Q: When you are not working at the testing center what do you do in your free time? 

A: I am an avid runner and love playing with my dog Tucker, who I adopted last semester! 

A: I plan on going to France to visit my family. It has been too long and I hope to see them soon!