Women's Tennis Opens Fall Season With Doubles Victory

The women’s tennis team began its season at the MIT Invitational over the weekend, facing off against Wesleyan, Tufts and MIT. The Mammoths proved victorious in the doubles tournament, while falling short in singles.

The women’s tennis team opened their fall season at the MIT Invitational over the weekend where they competed against Wesleyan, Tufts and MIT. Amherst left triumphant in the doubles tournament on Sunday, with an 8-2 win in the championship match, as well as a sportsmanship award.

Captain Jackie Bukzin ’22 and Mia Kintiroglou ’25 led the Mammoths to the victory against the Tufts Jumbos. To clench the victory, Bukzin and Kintiroglou defeated Tufts’ Elle Christensen and Casey Cummings.

“I think there were a lot of positive takeaways from this tournament,” Bukzin said. “Everyone battled very hard in singles and doubles.”

Bukzin and Kintiroglou opened up doubles play by beating Alexis Amy and Kriti Williams of Wesleyan University 8-2 in the round of 16. In the quarter finals, they defeated MIT’s Megan Guenther and Yuka Perera 8-4. To get to the championship, the duo took down Wesleyan’s Renna Mohsen-Breen and Katie Fleishman with a score of 8-2.

Playing solo, first-year Amy Qui ’25 won the sportsmanship award at the tournament, making the team even more excited for their upcoming season.

There were also impressive wins for the Mammoths throughout the singles and doubles tournament. However, although nine Amherst athletes participated in the event, the Mammoths fell in the singles tournament, not advancing past the quarter finals.

“We have a strong team this year with strong freshmen and great captains,” Kaya Amin ’24 said, “so we feel that they can lead us to the NESCAC championship and NCAA tournament.”

The Mammoths will continue their fall season on the road at the ITA Regionals on Oct. 1-3.